In the beginning, there are difficult question to be answered:
As a coach, you need a clear focus and scope.
As a leader and as an organization, you need a glmpse of what to expect.
The bootstrap process serves as a collaborative space to find an initial answer to these questions.
Decide on Agile
Identify Business / profit drivers
Which are the ways the organization evaluates success?
Check the Mindstate of your Organization
Are they prepared for a continuous-change mind set
Understand more of the context
As a coach, you have many more questions to ask to understand the world of your customer, e.g.
- Organizational Challenges and Pains
- Past attempts to agility – and possibly: what is the currrent FUD (fear, uncertainty and doubt) about Agile
- How are you organized
- Describe the motivation drivers and the culture
Agree on an initial change goal
e.g. on the basis of the declaration of interdependency
- Increase return on investment by focusing on the continuous flow of value
- Deliver reliable results by engaging internal or external customers in frequent interactions and shared ownership
- Managing uncertainty and change through continuous inspections and adaption
- Deliver creativity and innovation by recognizing that individuals are the ultimate source of value, and creating an environment where they can establish the difference
- Boost performance through group accountability for results and shared responsibility for team effectiveness
- Improve effectiveness and reliability through adapted strategies, processes and practices
The following elements are the matching management guidelines for a sustainable successful adoption of agile in an organization:
- Focus on customer delight: continuous customer delight is the principal source of competitive advantage in the 21st century
- Focus on innovation: innovation is today the key ingredient for sustainable success
- Create a culture of trust and respect: after the end of mass production, the organization nee ds desperately the ingenuity and initiative of all employees to provide the best value to the customer
- Organize around self organizing teams: the best results and most innovative products are created by self organizing teams
- Trust – without a culture of trust, it is hard to create a productive collaboration in teams and between teams
- Ownership and delegation – how does the organization handle delegation – this is one crucial question when it comes to the autonomy of an agile team
Understand the Status Quo
Research the current culture and the structures