Resilient is the new Effcient
Companies need new Capabilities
Success of an organization in today’s complex environment is determined by three factors:
Operational ExcellenceThis aspect is tightly connected to cost effectiveness. A modern approach is typically based on Lean principles. It concentrates on
- Focus on value – the first priority is pursuing a global optimum
- Organize a continuous flow – deliver in small batches and in short cycles
- Optimize, reduce waste and strive for perfection
Discover, disrupt, deliverAgile methods provide a rich set of practices to shorten the feedback cycle. Scrum provides a proven framework for teams to achieve consistent, effective delivery and to develop as a team by stabilizing the development process through the Sprint cadence. Kanban tries to achieve similar effects through focusing on visualization and the work-in-progress (WIP) limit. Business agility may comprise other practices to shorten the feedback cycle, like Design Thinking or Lean Startup techniques.
Amplify LearningBoth aspects need a continuous effort on learning and a systemic view. This must be supported by a culture of trust and needs appropriate leadership.
Agile EvolutionThe sweet spot is in the combination of these aspects. An organization needs
- A systemic view of the Whole, the combination of the three success factors.
- A view of change as a continuous process. Changes do not come in distinct phases, they occur constantly, overlap and influence each other.
- A transparent and aligned idea of „better“, i.e. a direction of changes. In a complex world, this involves a vision, experiments, empowered people, incremental and disruptive improvements.